Caregiving, pets and medical care

Find information about how COVIDSafe Settings restrictions affect caregiving, pet care and seeking medical care.

Seeing a doctor or healthcare professional

Can I see a doctor or access medical services?

Yes. You shouldn’t delay seeing a doctor or accessing medical services. If you are unwell it is important that you see a healthcare professional, including to: 

  • get tested for COVID-19
  • visit a doctor or other health professional or care service, or to obtain medicine and medical supplies 
  • donate blood or breast milk.

You may access these services anywhere in Victoria. 

In an emergency you should call Triple Zero (000) and ask for an ambulance.

Can water births take place in Victoria?

If you screen negative for symptoms associated with COVID-19, water births can take place in Victoria.

Looking after family, children and friends

Find out about the restrictions that apply to seeing friends and family

Can I continue with care arrangements for my children?

Yes. There are no restrictions on arranging childminding, whether in your home or at the house of a friend or family member.

People who visit your home are encouraged to wear a mask, including if they undertake child minding or other care-giving activities.

Caregivers should keep at least 1.5 metres from other people where possible and practise good hygiene by washing their hands regularly and coughing or sneezing into their elbow.

Can I visit an elderly parent or friend?

Yes, you can visit an elderly parent or friend.

Each household can have up to 100 people visit per day (infants under 12 months of age are not counted in this limit). 

When you are preparing meals or caring for an elderly person you should be aware of the risks of transmitting COVID-19. Older people are especially vulnerable to COVID-19, so it is important that you take extra steps to keep them safe. It is recommended you wear a face mask, keep at least 1.5 metres from other people, and wash your hands regularly while visiting.

If you feel unwell, get tested for COVID-19 and self-quarantine until you receive a negative test result.

If you are visiting an elderly parent or friend at a care facility, you must wear a face mask indoors unless an exception applies. It is recommended that you wear a face mask when visiting outdoors at a care facility where you cannot keep 1.5m apart from others.

What support is available if I fear for my safety or the safety of my children due to a family violence situation?

Family violence frontline services, including crisis accommodation, continue to operate to support women, children and families during the COVID-19 pandemic.

There are options for accessing safe housing if you need to leave a violent situation or you are not safe in your home.

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger call Triple Zero (000).

Or if it is safe to do so, you can call Safe Steps on 1800 015 188 or email for help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Find out more about Family violence crisis response and support during COVID-19.

Reviewed 30 March 2021

Coronavirus Victoria

24/7 Coronavirus Hotline

If you suspect you may have coronavirus (COVID-19) call the dedicated hotline – open 24 hours, 7 days.

Please keep Triple Zero (000) for emergencies only.

Was this page helpful?