Industry Restart Guidelines
Last updated: 31 March 2021
Last updated: 1 April 2021
Frequently asked questions - COVIDSafe Settings
Last updated: 7 April 2021
Read below for answers to frequently asked questions by businesses within the retail sector.
What are the current face mask requirements?
Face masks continue to be mandatory in some locations, unless a lawful reason not to wear one applies.
Yes, entertainment machines in shopping centres may operate. Machines should be cleaned in between customers where possible, and high-touch surfaces must be regularly cleaned and disinfected. All queues should be managed to ensure physical distancing. of cleaning should also be implemented using a digital or paper-based logging system.
Entertainment machines in this context means standalone children’s rides, massage chairs, health check measuring pods, photo booths, claw machines, candy or toy dispensers, other freestanding entertainment or wellbeing machines.
Yes. Throughout , there is no requirement to reduce work across multiple retail sites. However, employers should minimise any requirement for workers to move between sites where practical and should of all workers working across multiple sites, including date, time and place of attendance.
Every Victorian workplace must have a .
Yes. Customers may continue to use their re-usable shopping bags with appropriate hygiene, cleaning and sanitation processes in place.
Yes. During , goods sold on Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree or other online stores can be collected in person. Use ‘click and collect’, non-contact and cashless transactions where possible for private, person-to-person purchases. Practise good hand hygiene before, during and after the transfer of goods.
Yes, you can offer taste-testing of food and drinks, however there are steps to ensure your retail store remains COVIDSafe.
You must ensure that:
- workers and customers wear in line with current requirements unless they have a lawful reason not to. can be removed when eating or drinking.
- everyone adheres to density quotients of
- you clean and disinfect all surfaces after each group of patrons and immediately after a spill. Regularly clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces, including implements used for food display or serving.
It is strongly recommended that you:
- encourage good hand hygiene where fresh or sample produce is available, and ensure hand sanitiser is available for patrons upon entry and exit, as well as during sampling activities
- do not allow sharing of food and provide individual samples
- have one person distributing sample food or drinks
- encourage physical distancing (for example by using floor markers), and discourage crowding around food and drink samples
- discourage touching of fresh produce
- ask customers to place a bag over their hand when selecting and packing loose produce
- have one or more (s) present to ensure COVIDSafe compliance
- provide single-use items, such as crockery, where possible
- provide waste disposal options for single-use items, such as crockery and left-over samples
- consider using Perspex shields for food display and while serving
- keeping records of customer details, where practical, with electronic record keeping preferred. is free and easy to use.
Reviewed 22 April 2021