Education and training services businesses must abide by current restrictions, which are summarised below.
Current restrictions for education and training services
Record keeping applies to all Victorian workplaces.
- employers must of all workers and visitors who attend the workplace for longer than 15 minutes, including first name, contact number, date and time of visit and areas of the workplace visited
- employers are strongly encouraged to use electronic record keeping for this purpose. This includes the
- employers must keep records to show . This includes keeping logs created during the time of directions being in force in line with record keeping requirements, including work premises rosters, time and attendance records and payroll data.
- must be carried at all times when you leave home
- face masks are mandatory in airports, hospitals, large retail stores over 2000 sqm, shopping centres, indoor markets, in taxis and rideshares, on public transport, and on domestic flights to and from Victoria
- wearing a face mask is strongly recommended when you can’t keep 1.5 metres distance from other people
- for more information, visit: page.
Frequently asked questions
Updated on: 12 January 2021
Read below for answers to questions frequently asked by businesses and organisations in the education and training sector.
Do I need to wear a face mask when working with children in an education setting?
Teachers and education support staff must wear face masks in other indoors areas of the school when not teaching if physical distancing cannot be maintained.
You must carry a face mask with you at all times when you leave home. Fitted face masks must be worn when you are in public indoor spaces unless you have a lawful reason not to. Face masks continue to be mandatory on public transport and when in taxis or ride share vehicles.
I am an early childhood education and care provider — do I have to provide hand sanitiser throughout the premises?
Yes. Liquid soap and running water, or alcohol-based hand sanitiser, should be made available at the entrances and throughout the workplace. Hand sanitiser and soap should be placed in appropriate locations in accordance with workplace health and safety, and other early childhood education and care services requirements. For example, hand sanitiser should be located safely out of reach of children to avoid accidental ingestion).
Can on-site learning for higher education occur during COVIDSafe Summer restrictions?
You must carry a with you at all times when you leave home. Fitted face masks must be worn when you are in public indoor spaces unless you have a lawful reason not to. Face masks continue to be mandatory on public transport and when in taxis or ride share vehicles.
Can workers be employed at more than one early childhood education and care service during COVIDSafe Summer?
Yes. However, employers are encouraged to keep groups of workers on the same shifts for a given geographic area and site. Employers are also encouraged to stagger shift start and finish times, and minimise the need for face-to-face handover.
If working for more than one employer, it is recommended that the worker provide written details of the other work premises they are attending to assist with contract tracing.
Are driving instructors allowed to give driving lessons during COVIDSafe Summer restrictions?
Yes. Driving lessons and training are allowed under restrictions. However, because the enclosed space of a car presents a heightened risk of transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19) it is important to stay COVIDSafe.
If driving with people who you don’t live with, you must wear a .
Increase ventilation by opening windows and do not have air conditioning on recirculate.
Shared vehicles and materials, such as pens and learner handbooks, should be thoroughly cleaned after each passenger or driver. More information about cleaning and disinfecting to prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) is available at page.
Reviewed 19 January 2021