Travel and transport - English

Find out about changes to public transport, quarantine and interstate and overseas travel.

If you need more help in your language, you can call TIS National on 131 450 and ask for an interpreter, then ask to be connected to the Public Transport Victoria call centre on 1800 800 007.

Victorian Travel Permit Scheme

You need to apply for a permit to enter Victoria from anywhere in Australia and New Zealand.

The permit system is for travellers and residents that live in Victoria who are returning home.

Victoria categorises other parts of Australia and New Zealand as green, orange or red, depending on the coronavirus risk in that area.

To apply for a permit, you will need to provide details about where you are coming from and traveling to.

People who live in border communities will not need a permit but will need to provide proof of their home address at the border.

How to apply

Apply for a permit through Service Victoria.

Permit zones

A red zone means that you cannot enter Victoria unless you are a Victorian resident. If you are a Victorian resident entering from a red zone, you will have to quarantine at home for 14 days. There are some reasons you may enter, such as with a Specified Worker or Freight Workers permit, or an exception or exemption permit for compassionate reasons. If you enter from a red zone without an exemption, exception, or work permit you will be fined and turned around. 

An orange zone means that you can apply for a permit and will have to get tested within 72 hours of arriving in Victoria. You must stay at home before and after your test, until you receive a negative test result.

A green zone means that you can apply for a permit and enter Victoria. Once in Victoria you should watch for symptoms and get tested if you feel unwell.

To see areas in Australia and New Zealand that are red, orange or green zones, see the map on the Victorian Travel Permit System page.

Permit exemptions

You can apply for an exemption permit if you have a valid reason. This may include:

  • an end of life event or funeral
  • returning home for health, wellbeing, care or compassionate reasons
  • emergency relocation
  • the wellbeing of an animal on the other side of the border.

Reviewed 03 August 2021

24/7 Coronavirus Hotline

If you suspect you may have COVID-19 call the dedicated hotline – open 24 hours, 7 days.

Please keep Triple Zero (000) for emergencies only.

Was this page helpful?