Information for cross border communities

Advice about communities that share a border with Victoria (border communities).

Those living in our Victoria and NSW border communities will continue to be able to access the ‘border bubble’ – using their driver license to prove their residential address. If you live in one of the border communities – you do not need to apply for a permit. 

Communities on the border of Victoria and South Australia will need to use the permit system.

Local Government Areas in the border zone


  • Alpine Shire*
  • Rural City of Benalla
  • City of Greater Bendigo 
  • Buloke Shire
  • Campaspe Shire
  • East Gippsland Shire
  • Gannawarra Shire
  • Indigo Shire
  • Loddon Shire
  • Rural City of Mildura
  • Moira Shire
  • City of Greater Shepparton
  • Rural City of Swan Hill
  • Towong Shire
  • Rural City of Wangaratta
  • City of Wodonga
  • Yarriambiack Shire

* Includes residents of two unincorporated areas - Mount Hotham Alpine Resort and Falls Creek Alpine Resort.

New South Wales

  • Albury City
  • Balranald Shire
  • Bega Valley Shire
  • Berrigan Shire
  • City of Broken Hill
  • Edward River Council
  • Federation Council
  • Greater Hume Shire
  • Hay Shire
  • Lockhart Shire
  • Murray River Council
  • Murrumbidgee Council
  • Snowy Monaro Regional Council
  • Snowy Valleys Council
  • City of Wagga Wagga
  • Wentworth Shire

I live in a Victorian border community and have travelled into a New South Wales border community. Do I need to get tested or quarantine when I return?

Victorian border community residents can only travel within Victoria and the New South Wales border communities. If you have travelled beyond New South Wales’ border communities, you will need a travel permit to re-enter Victoria.

I live in a New South Wales border community. Can I travel outside the border bubble in Victoria?

People who live in a border community don't need a permit to travel into Victoria but must carry a valid form of photographic ID with a current address when travelling.

If you have travelled beyond New South Wales’ border communities in the past 14 days, you will need a travel permit, exception or exemption to cross the border and enter Victoria.

Border residents from both New South Wales and Victoria are able to travel as they would for their normal day-to-day activities like work, shopping and eating out within the border bubble.

There are no restrictions on New South Wales border bubble residents travel within Victoria if they have not travelled north of the bubble border, but it is recommended that they travel only as far into Victoria as necessary.

I live in a South Australian border community. Can I travel into Victoria?

Communities on the border of Victoria and South Australia will need to use the permit system. For more information visit our Victorian Travel Permit System page.

I am a Victorian and have a relative or friend who lives in a New South Wales border community. Can I meet them in a Victorian border community?

Yes. You are permitted to visit a Victorian border community, and your relative or friend can enter a Victorian border community. Your friend or relative can travel into a Victorian border community if:

  • they have not been into any other part of New South Wales in the last 14 days, unless they have a permit, exception or exemption, or a Specified Worker Permit or Freight Worker Permit
  • they are not required to quarantine
  • they are not unwell.

Your friend or relative must comply with Victorian restrictions, such as wearing masks in some settings and the limits on the numbers of people allowed for gatherings. You should try to keep more than 1.5 metres apart from those people you do not live with. Hugging and kissing should be avoided.

I live in a Victorian border community. Can I travel into New South Wales beyond the border communities to access health care?

You can access healthcare beyond the New South Wales border communities, but to return to the Victorian border community you would need to apply for an exemption to Victoria’s border rules. You can apply for an exemption by ringing the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398.

Exemptions and permits are not required for people who provide, receive or accompany a dependent who is to receive, emergency or other urgent care, including medical care requiring continuity of treatment.

Can I stay on a houseboat or boat on the Murray River?

Victorians from outside the Victorian border communities can go onto the Murray from Victoria but can’t disembark on the New South Wales side, unless they are a New South Wales Border Community resident. People from New South Wales may board a houseboat or boat as long as they reside in the Border Community area and have not visited any other part of New South Wales in the past 14 days are not required to quarantine or are not feeling unwell. You may return to Victoria if you remain on the houseboat, do not disembark into New South Wales and only have Victorian or Border community residents on the boat with you.

I don’t have photographic ID or proof of my residential address. What can I do?

If you don’t have photo ID, you can use two other forms of documentary evidence to prove your identity, such as a Medicare card, Centrelink correspondence, credit card or bill.

If you are unable to provide proof of your address, you will need other documentary evidence to satisfy an authorised officer, a Victoria Police member or a Protective Services Officer of your ordinary place of residence. This could be a letter from an Indigenous community leader or community services provider, confirming your identity and address or other place of residence arrangements.

Reviewed 27 February 2021

Coronavirus Victoria

24/7 Coronavirus Hotline

If you suspect you may have coronavirus (COVID-19) call the dedicated hotline – open 24 hours, 7 days.

Please keep Triple Zero (000) for emergencies only.

Was this page helpful?