Making a complaint about hotel quarantine

Information for residents in hotel quarantine about how to provide feedback or make a complaint.

We want to hear your feedback

We understand that being in quarantine is challenging. We will do our best to ensure your needs are met during your stay.

If you need to make a complaint about any of the services you access during quarantine, there are a number of ways this can be done.

Complaints can be made in writing or verbally, either to staff on site or by contacting the Government Support Service. You will receive an initial response to your complaint within 48 hours.

Written complaints

Complaints can be made in writing via an online form

If you cannot access the online form, please request a hard copy form from a Resident Support Officer.

Verbal complaints

If you have a complaint that requires urgent resolution or would prefer to make a verbal complaint, you can phone reception and ask to speak to the Assistant Manager, Site Services. 

If the Assistant Manager is not immediately available, they will contact you to discuss your complaint at the earliest opportunity.

Government Support Service

If you are unable to put your complaint in writing or do not wish to speak to staff on site, the Government Support Service is available for making a verbal complaint. The service can be contacted on 1800 960 944. 

The service is staffed seven days a week. If you cannot get through, leave your name, the name of your accommodation, your room number, and your room or mobile phone number so the service can call you.

Anonymous complaints

If you wish to make an anonymous complaint, you can also call the Government Support Service on 1800 960 944. The service will complete the online complaints form on your behalf and will include only the details you provide to them.

Please note, we can only provide you with information about how your complaint has been resolved or get in touch for further information if you provide your contact details.

Language support

Interpreters and language support are available throughout your stay in quarantine. If you need an interpreter to assist you in making a complaint, phone (03) 7005 3068.

Resolving your complaint

We will identify options to resolve your complaint as soon as possible, and within 28 days at the latest.

Complaints may be resolved by quarantine staff or may need to be referred to the relevant service provider depending on the complaint. Only those with a need to know will have access to the information you provide in your complaint.

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint, you can seek an internal review of the decision by asking the person who resolved your complaint to escalate it. This will be undertaken by someone who was not originally involved in the process.

External review

If you are unhappy with the outcome of the internal review, you may be able to seek a review of the decision through an external body. You may also be able to make a complaint to an external agency directly.

For example, you can make a complaint to the Victorian Ombudsman. For more information, go to or call (03) 9613 6222.

Freedom of Information

You have the right to apply for access to the personal information the department holds about you. You can make a request online or by contacting the department’s Freedom of Information Unit

Residents requiring assistance in making a complaint

If you need another person or organisation to assist or represent you in making your complaint, you can communicate with us through a representative if you give your consent.

Representatives can include an advocate, family member, legal or community representative, Member of Parliament, or any other person or organisation.

Representatives can make a complaint on behalf of a resident by completing the online form or by calling the Government Support Service on 1800 960 944.

Reviewed 26 March 2021

24/7 Coronavirus Hotline

If you suspect you may have COVID-19 call the dedicated hotline – open 24 hours, 7 days.

Please keep Triple Zero (000) for emergencies only.

Was this page helpful?