Travellers eligible to apply for a Specified Worker Permit

Find the industries and workers within those industries that are eligible for a Specified Worker Permit.

At 6:00pm on 11 January 2021, Victoria introduced a traffic light entry system into Victoria. Everyone entering Victoria must have a permit unless you are eligible for an exemption or an exception.

This page outlines the industries and workers within those industries that are eligible for a Specified Worker Permit. The Chief Health Officer will consider adding or changing workers from industries to the list as appropriate. Any changes will be updated to this site.

This permit is for specified workers who have been in an orange zone or a red zone. If you are a specified worker who has only been in a green zone, you can apply for and carry a green zone permit. However, you would need to apply for a Specified Worker Permit if your zone changes to an orange zone or a green zone.

For more information on permit zones, visit the Victorian Travel Permit System page.

Travellers eligible to apply for a Specified Worker Permit

Workers undertaking the following activities are eligible under this category:

  • Forestry activity
  • Farming activities and other operations relating to agriculture including, horticulture, viticulture, irrigation, permaculture, apiculture – including the movement of beehives, grains, fibre production, dairy, flower industry, commercial fishing, aquaculture, livestock and forestry. This also includes farm equipment, tools and their maintenance.
  • Intensive agricultural production including greenhouses and animal production
  • Food and fibre manufacturing: manufacturing of beverages, baked goods, dairy goods, canned or frozen goods, other packaged products, blankets, clothing, building materials, packaging
  • Food and fibre processing: abattoirs, seafood, dairies, timber mills, sugar mills, cotton gins
  • Agricultural, veterinary chemicals and vaccine production, transportation and distribution
  • Businesses that support agriculture and farming including but not limited to on‐farm consultants, livestock agents, agronomists, shearing contractors, trades services and contracting businesses
  • Laboratory and diagnostic services
  • Animal saleyards, knackeries and animal transportation services (including livestock and pets)
  • Animal feed production, transportation, packaging, sale, and feeding (including livestock and pets)
  • Veterinary clinics and related services including on‐farm visits, animal care services (only where it there is a genuine animal welfare issue) and artificial insemination
  • Teaching and scientific facilities which require the keeping or use of animals
  • Any business or undertaking that is involved in providing support services to agriculture, forestry and fishing activities under this Code, such as food safety and verification, inspection or associated laboratory services; market access, biosecurity and animal welfare, national disaster response recovery and relief functions 
  • Water supply, water managers and water transport supporting agricultural production
  • Export supply chain operators
  • Food and beverage production manufacturing including associated services and goods necessary for the packaging of these products
  • Essential service worker that includes transport, fuel, light, power, water and sewerage
  • A resources sector specialist worker, whose skills cannot be readily sourced in Victoria however are required for reasons such as, to ensure the safety of workers, provide essential maintenance activities, to keep sites operational or to maintain critical industries

There is a separate Freight worker permit for commercial freight workers. A commercial freight worker means a person who is subject to the Freight Code and includes:

  • a heavy vehicle driver
  • rail crew or
  • a support worker.

Apply for a Specified Worker Permit

You can apply for a permit at the Service Victoria website.

Apply online for a permit.

Reviewed 19 January 2021

Coronavirus Victoria

24/7 Coronavirus Hotline

If you suspect you may have coronavirus (COVID-19) call the dedicated hotline – open 24 hours, 7 days.

Please keep Triple Zero (000) for emergencies only.

Was this page helpful?