Victorian Travel Permit System

Find out about the permit system, which applies to travellers coming to Victoria from anywhere in Australia.


A permit system has been established for all domestic travel into Victoria.

From 5:59pm on 11 January 2021, you will need to apply for a permit to enter Victoria from anywhere in Australia. Apply for a permit at the Service Victoria website.

The permit system is based on a traffic light system which allows for areas across Australia to be designated as green, orange or red according to their risk. Find more information about red, orange and green permit zones.

The permit system is for both travellers to Victoria and residents of Victoria returning home from interstate travel.

Travel updates

For up-to-date information on travel restrictions for your state, see Travel updates.

About the permit

  • The type of permit that you require will depend on where you have been.
  • When you apply for a permit you will be asked where you are coming from and where you have travelled to.
  • This is like a registration system and if you want to travel into Victoria you will need to let us know if you have been in a location which has been designated in a red, orange or green zone.
  • Whether you live in an area, have worked there, been shopping, or just travelled through, you will need to include these locations on your permit and there will be some conditions.
  • The permit system also applies to Victorian residents returning home from interstate.
  • It is an offence to provide misleading information, with fines of up to $1,652.

Apply for the Victorian Travel Permit

You can apply for a permit at the Service Victoria website.

Apply online for a permit.

Permit zones

The permit system is a traffic light system which allows areas across Australia to be designated as green, orange or red zones according to their risk. 

Red zone 

A red zone means that you are not allowed to enter Victoria without an exception, Specified Worker Permit, transit permit or exemption.

By land border: If you try to enter Victoria at a land border without an exemption, exception or Specified Worker Permit you will be turned away.

By plane or water: If you attempt to enter via an airport or seaport you will be fined up to $4,957. Victorian residents will also be directed to self-isolate at home for 14 days while non-Victorian residents will be sent back on the first available flight.

Orange zone

Those travelling from a designated orange zone must apply for a permit to enter Victoria. You cannot apply for a permit if you have coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms, nor if you have visited a red zone. You are allowed to travel through a red zone for the purpose of transit.

You must agree to the requirement of self-quarantine, get a coronavirus (COVID-19) test within 72 hours of arrival and remain in self-quarantine until you receive a negative test result.

Green zone

Those travelling from a designated green zone must apply for a permit to enter Victoria. You cannot apply for a green zone permit if you have coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms, nor if you have visited a red zone.

If you notice any symptoms once you arrive in Victoria from a green zone, you should immediately get tested for coronavirus (COVID-19).

Permit application questions

During the permit application, along with where you have been, you will also be asked about whether you have symptoms, whether you have been diagnosed with coronavirus (COVID-19) or are a close contact of someone who has or whether you have visited particular high-risk locations.

NSW - Victorian border communities 

Those living in our Victoria and NSW border communities will continue to be able to access the ‘border bubble’ – using their driver license to prove their residential address. If you live in one of the border communities – you do not need to apply for a permit. 

South Australia - Victorian border communities 

Communities on the border of Victoria and South Australia will need to use the permit system.

For more information and to find out if your local government area is in the border zone visit Information for cross border communities.

Map of zones

The map below shows the zones across Australia. There is also a list of LGAs and their zones (CSV).

The zones in this map come into effect at 11.59pm on Friday 26 February 2021.

Apply for a permit at the Service Victoria website.

Exceptions and exemptions 

What are exceptions?

New South Wales border community residents do not need to obtain a permit to enter Victoria.

People may cross the border without a permit to provide, receive or accompany a dependant who is to receive emergency or essential medical care or other urgent care, including medical care requiring continuity of treatment.

This does not include ordinary child-minding, although formal shared custody arrangements can continue. Carrying a medical certificate, letter from a physician or proof of custody arrangements is strongly recommended.

Emergency workers (including healthcare workers, care facility workers and child protection workers) must carry a letter from their employer evidencing the need for that worker to travel across the border, but do not need to obtain a permit in this instance.

You must follow Victoria’s restrictions when entering this state, including wearing a mask in some indoor public spaces, public transport and on all domestic flights. More information on face mask requirements

What are exemptions?

You can apply for an exemption if you have a valid reason.

Reasons for an exemption may include:

  • an end of life event
  • going to a funeral
  • returning home for health, wellbeing, care or compassionate reasons
  • emergency relocation
  • caring for an animal on the other side of the border

Exemptions are limited and only granted in special cases. The Department of Health and Human Services will assess your application and respond.  You can apply online for an exemption.

More information

Reviewed 26 February 2021

Coronavirus Victoria

24/7 Coronavirus Hotline

If you suspect you may have coronavirus (COVID-19) call the dedicated hotline – open 24 hours, 7 days.

Please keep Triple Zero (000) for emergencies only.

Was this page helpful?